Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tempeh Piccata






My new favorite cookbook, Chloe’s Kitchen, arrived today and I’ve already book marked half the pages.  I would highly recommend picking up a copy and working your way through it.  This is the first dish I made and it will be a dish I go back to again and again.  We steamed some spinach in olive oil with chopped garlic to go along with the Tempeh Piccata.



Tempeh Piccata  (Chloe's Kitchen CB by Chloe Coscarelli)
1            8 oz. package tempeh, thinly sliced
4            tablespoons olive oil, divided
1            onion, chopped
2            cloves garlic, minced
              sea salt
              freshly ground black pepper
1            cup vegetable broth
1            tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
2            tablespoons water
3            tablespoons lemon juice
2            tablespoons vegan margarine
2            tablespoons drained capers (I think I used more)
2            tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

Fill a large pot with enough water to reach the bottom of a steamer basket. Place tempeh slices in the basket, cover, and steam for 20 minutes. Check the pot occasionally and add more water if necessary. (I’ve actually burned a pan steaming potatoes because the water evaporated). Steaming the tempeh will remove bitterness.           

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat and arrange tempeh pieces in the skillet. Flip the pieces, cook tempeh on each side for 5 minutes, or until nicely browned. Transfer to a plate.


In the same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions until soft. Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Very carefully and slowly add the broth to the skillet, so the oil doesn’t spatter. Reduce the heat to medium and let the broth bubble down for 1-2 minutes.

Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl and slowly drizzle it into the skillet, mixing continuously until sauce thickens. Add the tempeh to the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Add lemon juice and let simmer for a few minutes, turning the tempeh midway. Turn off the heat and stir in margarine, capers and parsley until margarine is melted and incorporated. Season again with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. I love this book too! Only one recipe I've tried hasn't been amazing. I'm so glad you posted this, it was on our menu this week then I returned it to the library with out first copying the recipe. I just need to buy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it was at the library - that's great. I have so many more recipes book marked and am so happy I added her cookbook to my collection!

    ReplyDelete